Skip to main content

About this Show

Americas Newsroom

News/Business. Bill Hemmer, Martha MacCallum. News coverage and discussion. New.

NETWORK

DURATION
02:00:00

RATING

SCANNED IN
Annapolis, MD, USA

SOURCE
Comcast Cable

TUNER
Port 1236

VIDEO CODEC
mpeg2video

AUDIO CODEC
mp2

PIXEL WIDTH
720

PIXEL HEIGHT
480

TOPIC FREQUENCY

Us 20, U.s. 19, Heather 17, America 10, Washington 9, Obama 8, Boehner 7, Kirsten 6, John Boehner 6, United States 6, Casey Anthony 6, Mitch Mcconnell 5, Afghanistan 5, China 4, Cleveland 4, Wisconsin 4, Europe 4, Iowa 4, Bachmann 3, Piper Navajo 3,
Borrow a DVD
of this show
  FOX News    Americas Newsroom    News/Business. Bill Hemmer, Martha  
   MacCallum. News coverage and discussion. New.  

    July 12, 2011
    9:00 - 11:00am EDT  

9:00am
that -- good-bye for today. bill: that's where you belong, brian! we'll be watching tomorrow. good morning, everybody! neither side willing to blink in the deadlock, president obama looking at the deal, spend now and pay later as our debt continues to balloon way past that $14 trillion mark. >> let's get this problem off the table and then with some firm footing, with a solid fiscal situation, we will then be in a position to make the kind of investments that i think are going to be necessary to win the future. bill: those investments could come with a big price tag that eventually will come due. we're going to try those chairs, aren't we? heather: we'll fall over. bill: good morning, i'm bill hemmer. health e. more pain. heather: i'm heather nauert, in for martha maccallum. the white house is holding another round of talks but
9:01am
there's a major sticking point, republicans digging in against any tax hikes. >> there was never any agreement to allow tax rates to go up, in any discussion i've ever had with the white house. not once. bill: democrats pushing for those new taxes to bring down the debt. republicans calling for deeper spending cuts. the president calls for a deal by july 22. that's ten days from now. that way, congress has time to pass it before the august 2nd deadline. that's when many in the administration argue that we will start defaulting on some of our bills. stuart varney, fox business network, leading our coverage, good morning. what's this charge about spending later, stuart? >> listen very carefully to what the president said yesterday and he was quite clear, i think, in saying look, get some more tax revenue in and then you're in a position to make the investments, that means spend more on infrastructure and education, things like that. so it's get in that tax revenue in the immediate
9:02am
future, and then you can spend more down the road, but look, bill, just as the president was saying that, over in europe, they were descend going financial chaos, and i use that word very carefully. they are in financial chaos in part because of their massive spending and their inability to control european governance. bill let me get back to europe in a moment. but republicans, they're not budging on taxes. it doesn't appear that's going anywhere, that argument, especially in the house. >> sounded very much like the republicans are digging in their heels. but notice carefully what speaker boehner said. he referred to no discussion with the white house about raising tax rates. now, that is different from raising revenue. you can raise revenue by selling off government property, for example. but on the issue of tax rate s, speaker boehner and the republicans have indeed dug in their heels miles apart from the democrats. bill: that is the distinction.
9:03am
what you're saying, it's a case of too much for too long. >> as of right now, there is virtual panic in europe. italy and spain need bailouts. the germans are refusing to bill them outo bail them out. they're going to hold a special european wide summit on july 15th to figure something out but believe me, bill, there is chaos in europe at the moment, and again, you have to go back to why there is this chaos, in part, it is because of the failure of european governments to reign in their spending, so you've got politicians in america, waking up this morning, and looking over there, and saying is that, are they, our future. bill: all right. greece got in before the others did and the others may not get a shot at it. stuart, thank you, see you on fbn in a couple of minutes. >> yes, sir. bill: 14 minutes pasoo four minutes past the hour, heather has more. heather: with so much uncertainty in the markets, we're keeping a close eye on
9:04am
them, dow jones industrial average, at about 12,000. we'll keep you posted as things move along. meantime, investors here are keeping a very close eye on what's going on overseas. europe's debt problem, leaving investors jittery about the world economy. we'll take a look at the markets a bit later in the show. go to foxnews.com for the latest on the debt talks, and there's a breakdown on what both sides of the aisle want, that's on foxnews.com. bill: if you don't like it, leave it, right? california, southern california, could become the nation's 51st state if a local lawmaker gets his way, pushing to split that golden state in two, republican jeff stone, proposing 13 southern californian counties cecede, staying it's too big to govern, citing the massive state budget problems, if he wins support from the 13 county supervisors that will go to
9:05am
the legislature and then to the u.s. congress. stay tuned, good luck with that. heather: summertime and that means extreme summer heat making life uncomfortable for a whole lot of the country. let's take a look outside our headquarters in new york city, expected to be 92 degrees today. but it is very, very humid and that means heat advisories, not just here but across the country, and warnings from more than 20 states expect to get over 100 degrees in 15 states today. meteorologist maria molina is live for us in the fox weather center. good morning. what parts of the country are going to see this extreme heat today? >> basically anywhere from texas to new york city, so that's a very large area, most of the eastern two-thirds of the country looking at extreme heat today. dallas, should see highs at 101, 99 memphis, 102, raleigh, north carolina an even here in new york as you mentioned, we're expecting to see a high at 92 degrees.
9:06am
factor in the humidity and we're going to be look at high index values that are going to make things dangerous, so there are advisories stretchs from new york city down to the southeast and also some warnings, those are the areas shaded in red, excessive heat warnings across portions of eastern kansas, into the tennessee valley, that's what we're going to be look at heat index values that could be 115-120 degrees, so extremely dangerous stuff out there today. heather: that leads me to the next question. that is what can people do if they're in those kinds of communities to stay safe? >> reporter: we have tips for everyone to keep this in mind with the humidity across these regionses, go ahead and stay hydrated, drink a lot of water, stay out of the sunshine. so head indoors, go into the air conditioning, you can also wear light colored, loose-fitted clothing, those lighter colors tend to reflect more sunshine so you won't be getting the heat to be absorbed and go ahead and check on your neighbors and relatives, especially the
9:07am
elderly, those are the segment of the population that are most susceptible to the heat induced illnesses. don't forget your pets, bring those indoors. knot problem, heather, that does arise is the growing blackouts because of the additional demand on electricity so check with your local community to see if you have any cooling centers open. heather: maria, thank you very much, and a good reminder, to people, please be careful with your children when it gets so hot outside. >> if you have great pictures or video, e-mail to the address on your screen, you report, fox news.com, give us the name, location, and a brief description of what we are seeing. you may also put your images right here on the show. bill good day to go to the pool. health or stay inside in the a.c. bill: stunning insight into the casey anthony murder trial, the jury deliberating for only 11 hours before returning a not guilty verdict and now we know why. juror number 11, the foreman in the trial, talking with greta on exactly what went down during those
9:08am
deliberations. >> when was the first vote, then? >> i wanted to know -- i wanted to take a prevote. i wanted to see where we stand or where people stood, so we voted right away. >> you raised your hand, or was it a secret? >> you raised your hand. >> what was the split, the first vote? >> for which indictment? >> murder. >> for murder, it was 10-2, 10 saying -- it was ten innocent, two guilty. bill: wow. greta has more with juror number 11 "on the record". we will have more on what could be a bombshell piece of evidence, a jailhouse video of casey anthony reacting to reports that a child's body had been found in a swamp near her home. it was found to be so inflammatory it was not allowed to be shown at trial. our legal panel weighs in on whether or not it should have been allowed and whether or not we will get to see it now. those are just some of the stories we're watching in "america's newsroom". in a moment, it happened again, only days after a
9:09am
tragic fall in texas, another baseball fan losing his balance. this time, at the home run derby last night. why this incident is raising serious new safety concerns at ballparks across the country. heather: then there's this, a united airlines flight diverted after an unruly passenger kicks and spits at a flight attendant. what the fbi is saying about the man under arrest. bill: michelle bachmann says she's a fighter with a titanium spine and she's fighting her way in the polls in iowa. how the president -- presidential candidate is faring against the republican frontrunner. >> they're saying the politicians have to stop the spending and they don't for a minute appreciate it -- appreciate it when president obama is talking about the nfl lockout and telling small businesses to eat their peas and suck it in and have more tax increases.
9:10am
9:11am
9:12am
heather: one of the most powerful men in the country of afghanistan has been assassinated, this man, the half brother of afghan president hamid karzai, shot
9:13am
dead by a bodyguard at his home in kanda kandahar, ahmed waleed karzai. president karzai said his brother's death shows that all afghan people are now suffering. we'll have more on this in a live report from afghanistan later on in the show. bill: in the meantime, she's holding ground in the state where she was born. minnesota congresswoman michelle bachmann, now leading the republican pack, according to a new poll for the iowa republican. she leads what many consider to be the frontrunner mitt romney 25-21 percent, so what would be her first order of business if she were to be elected to the white house? here's what she told bill o'reilly last night about that. >> bill, i am committed to the full-scale repeal of omabacare. we need a president that has a titanium spine, which is what i have. bill: all right. stephen hayes has the titanium spine every day,
9:14am
don't you steve? >> i do. bill: from the weekly standard and fox news contributor. what's doing in iowa forbackman, other than the fact that it's kind of home court advantage, right, born in waterloo but living in minnesota? >> she's representing minnesota, she's got family ties in waterloo, she's got a message that plays very well in iowa, because she's an unambiguous conservative, she makes no polices good her conservative, she opposed the bailout, t.a.r.p., these are the kinds of things that grassroots conservatives in the midwest are looking for in a presidential candidate and she's got them all, she can check the boxes on conservative and she's got it all. she doesn't have anything she has to sort of apologize for or explain at great length. bill: we just got a question from viewers a short time ago on twitter, wondering how she appeals to independents. does she? >> i think that will be a big challenge for her. if she were to win the republican nomination, how does she transition to make her case to independent
9:15am
voters. i think independents are more conservative typically than average democrats, conservative democrats, and so there's an opening there on issues like national security, certainly on debt, decifits, and spending, independents these days are looking more like republicans than they are like democrats. bill: but you know what bachmann has said about raising the debt ceiling, she's not in care of it and and would vote against it, she says and argued that point a great deal with o'reilly and she says there are revenues still coming into washington, we could still pay our bills. perhaps not all of them, but default is a stretch. does she win on that argument? >> i mean, politically, i think that's an easy argument for her to make and it's a good argument. there's no downside politically for republicans making exactly the argument, because it's what voters overwhelmingly want to hear, particularly republican primary voters. i think there are economic problems with it, i think ultimately you can't not raise the debt ceiling. eventually you have to. i think republicans should do everything they can to extract promises and concessions from the white
9:16am
house but politically, that's a pretty solid argument. bill: there was another republican woman not in the race, sarah palin, who argues she would not raise the debt ceiling, either, and there's been enormous profile out in newsweek magazine this week that features her at a stop in iowa. now, she said in this article, among many other things, quote, i can win a national election. now, what is happening with her, when you know that bachmann is making headway? does palin make a move or does she stay where she is? >> it was a terrific piece in newsweek about peter boyer. it's amazing what you can learn about a candidate if your objective is to get to know them and explain them rather than tear them down. i think she has trouble politically. i think michelle bachmann has eaten up a lot of the room that sarah palin occupied, not because they're both women but have the same unambiguous conservative message on a lot of these issues and bachmann has done well, she's introduced herself to
9:17am
iowa voters, she certainly has a lot of momentum in that state and for palin to come in now and try to challenge her, i think, will be a tall order. bill: i think that's the question, is there room for palin now, or is this all entirely too early? >> i think there's always room for people. you know, from my perspective, from our perspective as journalists, we love to see more candidates all the time, right, it makes it more interesting. politically, if i were to advise sarah palin, the longer she waits, the more difficult this becomes. bill: thank you for coming in, it's an interesting article in "newsweek", as you point out. strengthen your spine or straighten your spine or do whatever you want to do with your spine. sit up straight! see you later, talk to you soon. heather: wisconsin passing its controversial budget, and now lawmakers on both sides of the aisle are facing recall. voters there are heading to the polls right now, so we'll get a live report from milwaukee, find out what's going on there. bill: look at this picture here, shocking new details, where an amtrak train
9:18am
slammed into a dump truck, passengers were diving out the windows for safety. >> it was pretty bad. there was trash everywhere, the front end of the truck was gone. i couldn't even see the train because there was so much smoke. >> it was a really loud bang , we felt it.
9:19am
9:20am
9:21am
bill: brand new details on this horrifying train crash, watch here, a truck slamming into an oncoming amtrak train in maine, several beam on -- people on board were injured, the driver of the truck was killed, witnesses saying it caused a massive explosion, shooting flames more than 30 feet into the sky. >> terrifying. it was absolutely terrifying. the metal went flying off the seat, we saw flames and the cabin filled up with smoke, they pushed the window next to me. i was luckily in the seat that had the extra window, i
9:22am
kicked it out or pushed it out and we waited until they got us off the train. bill: wow. some of these people, so lucky to be alive and uninjured. investigators saying the truck driver slammed on his brakes to try and avoid that crash, leaving behind a 200-foot trail of skid marks heather: united airlines flight diverted because of the bizarre actions of one of the passengers on board this plane. twenty-one-year-old native of saudi arabia, living in the united states, staying here on a student visa, was arrested after he kicked and spit upon a flight attendant. this is fbi's special agent stephen jackson, here's what he had to say. >> he repeatedly went to the lavatory while the plane was taxiing or on takeoff, which is not permitted, and was -- had to be taken from that lavatory at least three times. heather: the flight from chicago to frankfurt, germany was forced to land in cleveland. stacy frey is here from our affiliate, wjw, she has
9:23am
more: >> reporter: the man is a native of saudi arabia. in the united states on a student visa. but he could potentially spend decades in federal prison here after what happened on that flight on friday. the fbi says that saleh ali ramick was arrested for refusing to turn off an electronic device and stay in his heat. he then became belligerent with a flight attendant, pushing, spitting, and cursing at the crew and passengers, they wrestled him down, tieing his feet and hands and covering his mouth with a surgical mask. ramich was on a flight from chicago to frankfurt, german and had to make an emergency landing in cleveland. passengers wondered how the plane ever got in the air since he started making such a fuss almost immediately. he is scheduled to be arraigned in cleveland court this morning, he will then be taken to federal court to face charges of interfering with a flight crew over there. potential penalty for that
9:24am
if convicted is 20 years in prison. back to you heather. heather: that's stacy from our affiliate in cleveland. bill: wonder what he was up to, huh? we find find -- we might find out very soon. here is a story on flying that will blow your mind. officials say it rarely happens. two planing collide in mid-air, they both manage to land safely. how the pilots pulled this one off. we'll tell you in a moment. heather: casey anthony will walk free in five days, her sensational trial is revealing private and intense conversations she had with her family while she was in jail. >> she could be out of the country or anywhere. >> mom, i don't want to go this the same thing. stop it. this is why i chose this aso though is one of the main reasons that i chose dad. heather: now we are learning that the judge in the case might release a new video that has never been seen before because it was so explosive that this was sealed before the trial.
9:25am
we'll tell you about that.
9:26am
9:27am
9:28am
bill: primary voting, i said, primary voting gets underway today in wisconsin's recall election. that vote sparked by that fiery budget battle early in the year that took on collective bargaining rights of state workers. one of the republicans said she just did what she had promised. >> i am getting recalled because i am doing what i said i would do, which is get control of taxes and spending and deficits.
9:29am
bill: mike tobin, good morning to youment i think they're going to give you statehood in wisconsin. the fight continues. good morning, tell us about it. >> reporter: it's interesting, bill. today will be the day of the fake democrats. you have six republicans run anything the primary on the ballot a as democrats. you have to remember the the big, divisive, contested budget battle with the unions that happened at the state capitol in madison. that continued until just a short time ago, arguably, is still going on right now. republicans felt there wasn't enough time to mount an effective campaign to defend against these recall efforts between then and now. therefore, they put the republicans on the ballots as democrats, and that created the need for a primary and bought them an extra four weeks. democrats call it a fraudulent waste of taxpayer money. >> they're fake democrats, and what this really is sort of a very disingenuous effort to kind of manipulate the public.
9:30am
>> reporter: now, from the republican perspective the tactic has been successful thus far because they did force the primary, they got the extra time to campaign before the vote that could change the makeup of the state senate here in wisconsin. bill: so you chose milwaukee for a reason, a hotly-contested race, you have a democratic state rep trying to unseat a republican state senator. what about that, mike? >> reporter: exactly. this is a perfect example. you have alberta darling being challenged by the democratic state representative, sandy pesh. a lot of outside money has flown in. a million and a half dollars being spent between two candidates in a statewide election. there is a fake candidate in this race, 81-year-old gladys huber. few people have seen her, but because she's on the ballot, you had the need for a primary. bill: it'll be interesting. out of milwaukee, mike tobin. thanks.
9:31am
heather: well, the countdown is on as casey anthony prepares to leave jail this coming sunday. and now a judge is considering whether or not to release a controversial jailhouse video that was considered so inflammatory that it was sealed during the murder trial. now, the recording from december 2008 shows anthony reacting to media reports that a child's body had been found in a swamp near her family's homement eight days later, that body was identified as that of her daughter, caylee. let's bring in our legal panel to talk about this and some other issues realitied to the -- related to the case. tamara holder and former prosecutor and criminal defense attorney arthur aidala, both fox news contributors. good morning to you both. we understand that the jury did not see this tape because it would have been highly prejudicial. we, obviously, have not seen it either as the public. should the judge have played this tape for the jury? a think, why -- arthur, why don't you start with that. >> no. he made the right decision. not to get too legal, but the
9:32am
general rule, the standard is does the prejudice outweigh the probative value, outweigh the evidentiary value? in other words, judges rule this way a lot of times if there's gruesome photographs, blood and things like that. you don't really need to see this blood to reach the correct conclusion in the outcome of this case. here he felt that anthony's reaction was so volatile that it didn't, the volatility of her reaction outweighed the evidentiary value that the jury could take into consideration. heather: but, tamara, this video came from the jailhouse, it was of her reaction, apparently, when she found out that a body was found. we don't know yet that it was caylee's body, later we realized it was, but we don't know exactly what her reaction was like. was it more like i've been caught, or was it like, oh, my goodness, my daughter's body could have been found? >> well, the issue isn't what her reaction was. this was strictly limited to the judge not wanting the public to see this video. not the jury.
9:33am
arthur's partially right, the judges can rule whether some kind of evidence whether it's a video or a crime scene is too prejudicial for the jury to view, but that was not the judge's decision here. this was strictly limited to pretrial issues of whether the public should see this because they were concerned about the effect that it would have on the public and on the potential jury pool. so now that the trial is over, the local news station in florida is saying we think that this video should be released. it is a public video that the judge recognized it to be public. now it's over, now the trial's over, release the video. heather: arthur, lastly on this one before we move on to another topic, similar summit, can you think of a reason why the judge should not release this video to the public? >> sure. because it's the same reason why he didn't initially, to some degree s that it was so going to prejudice casey anthony -- heather: but the public's over.
9:34am
>> he's a public servant. he's supposed to do what's in the best interest of the public, and if he believes releasing that video is going to incite some nut job to take a step against casey anthony or to incite riots or something like that -- heather: okay, i got it. and some of those jurors are concerned about their safety, perhaps legitimately. let's talk about caylee's law. this has been proposed in about 11 states right now, here's, essentially, what it would do. it would require parents to report that their child has, within one hour if child is deceased, and report a child missing within 24 hours. you know, to a lot of folks this seems to make a lot of sense. arthur, you say this is not a good idea. why? >> no, no. i actually said it was a good idea. heather: oh, you agreed. i'm sorry. >> i call it a common sense. if you find your child dead, you don't call 911? or if your child is missing you don't call the police? >> are you going to call --
9:35am
arthur, are you going to call 911 on yourself? this is the stupidest law ever. heather: why is it a stupid law? so many people -- >> because i'll tell you why. well, this is why it's a stupid law. because the whole point of the law is to protect the safety of a child. there are safe haven or modes of laws where people can drop off their babies if they don't want them. we're talking about protecting -- heather: yeah, but that's not what we're talking about. this is about reporting your child missing. >> it shouldn't be an issue of punishment. we want to protect children and to turn some law into, you know, an issue of punishment, we should extend laws. if you don't want your kid, drop it off somewhere, don't kill it. >> it's got nothing to do with that. if your child is his manying, why would you not call the police? if you see your kid get hit by a car, it's a common sense law that just makes sense. heather: although, arthur -- hold on, tamara. there is one other angle here that is this, and some parents
9:36am
could be calling in all of a sudden if their child just doesn't come home right away, and law enforcement could potentially be flooded with so many calls that, perhaps, they'd become a little jaded and aren't able to fully investigate things. it's a matter of resources, arthur. what about that? >> i'd rather they err on the side of caution. i think parents aren't just going to jump to the phone if kid's five minutes late for dinner. those minutes when a child is first missing are the crucial -- heather: are the most important. arthur and travel rah, thanks a lot for joining us. a spirited debate. bill: all right, want to check the markets right now, seven minutes into trading today. kind of treading water, aren't they, a little bit? i've got that life preserver on in a pond somewhere where it's cool, not hot like it is outside. here's what's going on. investors reacting to european markets, italy and spain facing debt issues. as stu varney reported, germany says we're not going to help you
9:37am
out this time. that was after greece got, what, a couple billion here, a couple billion there? 20 billion, bottom line? we closed about 57 points down on monday despite the open, that was off about triple digits. so we came back in the afternoon. heather: and so much concern, too, about what our exposure here is to what's happening over there. all right, well, it was a critical argument against the new health care law, fears that it could lead to rationing of health care services. now lawmakers want answers on the independent advisory board. before your eyes glaze over, listen to this because it is an important issue, and it will effect you. bill: also, president obama saying it's time for everyone to eat their peas. he's not talking about nutrition, he's talking about swallowing a $14 trillion and asking for more. a leading republican on that senate budget committee reacts with his own comments life -- live next. are you receiving a payout from a legal settlement
9:38am
9:39am
or annuity over 10 or even 20 years? call imperial structured settlements. the experts at imperial can convert your long-term payout into a lump sum of cash today.
9:40am
9:41am
heather: new fallout in the news of the world scandal, gordon brown accusing reporters of obtaining private information about his family and his financial affairs. the paper printed its last issue on sunday, closing down after that controversy. it was owned by news corporation, the parent company of fox news. chief foreign affairs correspondent be amy kellogg is following this story. she's live in london. good morning. >> reporter: hi, heather. well, the scandal is engulfing the police now as well. they are being taken to task today, they themselves are in the line of fire being investigated for their failure to investigate this phone hacking scandal, heather, which as you mentioned, led news corporation, news international -- the european branch here -- to close down britain's most popular sunday tabloid, the news of the world. this phone hacking also led to the arrest on friday of the british prime minister, david cameron's, former chief of communications, andy kohlson,
9:42am
who also used to be an editor of news of the world. also police are under investigation forallegations that they took bribes in exchange for information. and then the latest twist, as you mentioned, involves the former prime minister, gordon brown. latest suggestions of unethical journalistic practice are extending now to two other papers as well. also part of rupert murdoch's empire, the sun, and the sunday times. they are alleged to have employed a con man to gain access to former prime minister brown's bank accounts, getting into his sons' medical records and, ultimately, revealing -- breaking the story -- that his child has cystic fibrosis. here's what gordon brown had to say. >> they got access to my legal files. there's some question mark about what happened to other files, documentation, tax and everything else. but i'm shocked. i'm genuinely shocked to find this happened because of the links with criminals.
9:43am
>> reporter: also the allegations of phone hacking into members of the royal family has extended a bit too. that group of royals potentially targeted as widened. a former news of the world royal editor who's already done jail time for hacking into royal household telephones was rearrested as well on friday. now, all of this has business ramifications as well. the ongoing investigation, heather, has caused news corporation to delay its bid to buy the remaining shares of v sky b here, a british satellite giant that news corporation already owns 39% of, but it wants to own the whole thing. and that bid was already controversial ahead of this phone hacking scandal taking over the news because murdoch already owns such a large share of the media over here. that's the latest from london. back to you. heather: all right, amy. thank you so much. bill?
9:44am
bill: all right. back down to washington right now and the high stakes battle over america's money. it is crunch time, or so they say. both sides cannot be further apart on a debt deal, and president obama challenging republicans with this. >> it's not going to get easier, it's going to get harder. so we might as well do it now. pull off the band-aid. eat our peas. [laughter] you know, now's the time to do it. bill: all right. pennsylvania senator pat toomey's a republican on the senate budget committee. sir, how you doing? good morning to you. >> i'm doing fine. how are you? bill: i'm fine. i read your "usa today" editorial today. in part you say the following: it says a calculated political maneuver designed to intimidate republicans into raising the debt limit with no meaningful spending cut or process reforms. explain your point. >> well, what i'm referring to is the administration's repeated,. shrill exaggerations
9:45am
about the consequences of not raising the debt limit prior to or immediately on august 2nd. specifically, this talk about default on our debt is completely untrue. there's more than enough cash that will be coming in to the treasury in the form of ongoing tax revenue. actually, more than ten times the revenue that's necessary to avoid a default. so we're not going to have a default. but what we would have is a partial government shutdown. that's disruptive. that's not ideal. and that's why i've been arguing that we ought to reach an agreement, but it shouldn't be yet another round of huge tax increases that the president's calling for. the first one i'm referring to, of course, was obamacare, and the hundreds of billions of tax increases on every american, rich and poor, that that bill included. we don't need to do even more damage to our economy. bill: can i stop you here just for a moment? >> sure. bill: the point you're making about a political maneuver, but mitch mcconnell has said we need to raise the debt limit, john boehner, are they falling
9:46am
for a political maneuver? >> hey, i've never said there's a permanent alternative, right? if we don't raise the debt limit, we'd have to cut total government spending by something like 30% overnight and keep it there. that's very dramatic and disruptive, it's not a long-term solution. but it's also not a default on our debt, it's not a financial crisis. my point is let's reach an agreement, and why not base that agreement on reaching a balanced budget? we did it back in the '90s with a democratic president and a republican congress. now we've got a divided congress and a democratic president. several of us have introduced a bill that would raise the debt limit by the full amount the president has asked for provided that he agree he put us on the path to have a balanced budget. bill: so just to be clear, you would vote to raise the debt limit so long as you got the spending cuts and trimmed it off the other side. >> i would be willing to raise the debt limit if we fix what's broken here. real cuts in spending, real caps
9:47am
on spending and a balanced budget amendment that allows us to end this mounting deficit and debt disaster we've created. bill: give me a number. if we're at $14.4 trillion now, coming up on 14.5 trillion, what would you raise it to? does it go to 17 trillion? do we have two and a half trillion to spend over the next year? be what is it? >> we have a bill that senator mike lee from utah, myself and a number of other republicans -- actually, i think about half of the republican conference in the senate -- has introduced that would raise the debt limit by $2.4 trillion. but it's contingent on real cuts in spending now, caps in be spending and be adoption of a balanced budget amendment so that over time we reach a balance, and then we don't have to keep raising the debt limit because we won't be running deficits anymore. bill: that means 2011, 2012 -- >> 2012. bill: not waiting five years, ten years from now because other people are arguing if you put the spending cuts off ten years down the road, it never happens.
9:48am
is that true? >> and they're exactly right. and that's why it needs to include real cuts in spending now, real statutory spending caps now that have automatic sequestration, automatic cuts. if congress exceeds those levels. but even those things i don't think are adequate, and that's why i'm supporting a balanced budget amendment which would make it a constitutional requirement that we do in washington what 49 states do, which is balance our budget. bill: senators, thank you. it's an interesting piece in "usa today." pat toomey. >> thanks for having me. bill: guess who else is reacting to the peas comment? the usa dry pea and lentil council saying this about the president's remarks,: heather: very cute. bill: the broccoli thing is very nice. heather: the broccoli lobby will be upset now.
9:49am
hey, what about us? >> bill: a little jealous, right? heather: exactly. harsh words for president obama, the top republican says the commander in chief isn't focused on solving the nation's problems but instead is in full campaign mode. bill: also look at this incredible picture, this man dangling over the railing during the home run derby in phoenix. that shocking moment raising serious new concerns and sparking a new debate over fan safety at ball games across the country. remember, you can take fox news with you on the go. a lot of folks on vacation, on the road, going to the swimming pool. it is now easier than to have keep fox with you when you are not in front of the tv. so before you head out on vacation, before you go off to the beach, simply go to foxnews.com/mobile. find out how to connect with fox news on your smartphone, ll and other mobile devices that you're using throughout the country today. we're back in a moment right after this.
9:50am
9:51am
9:52am
9:53am
bill: an off balance baseball fan with an incredibly close call at the all-star home run derby last night. two friends making a last minute grab for keith carmichael after he goes over the rail to hit a home run ball hit by prince fielder. you'll see him dangling there. he was allow today remain at the game after talking with security, but his buddies and those fans saved him. that near miss coming the very same day a man in texas was laid to rest after dying in a similar incident last week, just about a week ago. and his son was there. there's a good shot for ya, standing on top of the balcony? >> he went on top of a table, and it was an 18-inch high table putting him even closer to the railing. that guy's lucky his friends grabbed him. bill: the irony knowing what they're going through with the
9:54am
texas rangers after last week. heather: absolutely. all right, let's move along now. how do you prepare for the final space walk of the u.s. shuttle err? two nasa astronauts stepping out today to grab a broken pump that'll be loaded onto atlantis and brought back home to earth. it is ored a delicate -- considered a delicate chore. chris gutierrez is live for us from houston with an exclusive look at just how they do it. they're not teaching this stuff in shop class, huh, chris? [laughter] >> reporter: they definitely aren't, heather, and it's amazing what our astronauts are able to do. you're looking at live pictures here, 180 miles above the earth. but here at the johnson space station, did you know this is home to the world's largest indoor swimming pool? 1 neutral buy yancy lab is 40 feet deep and holds 6.2 million gallons of water. it is massive. and that's just one tool our astronauts use to train for those space walks that you're
9:55am
seeing right here. in fact, the other part is the virtual reality lab that you're mentioning, heather. take a look. it looks and feels like you're playing a video game. high-tech glasses and special gloves transmit what i see to a video monitor where instructors watch my every move. >> are you coming right at me? >> i'm coming at you. >> reporter: on this day, a veteran space walker helped show me the ropes. >> do you feel like you're if in be space? >> i do. >> reporter: they use a 3-d image of the international space station. >> this is really important because it gives us an idea what it's going to look like, how we're going to communicate to each other. you really can't practice when you get into space. you've got to be ready for the ball game when you get there, so this allows us to practice in an environment that is similar to what we'll see. >> reporter: astronauts also practice handling heavy loads. here a system of pulleys help me lift what would feel like a 1400 pounds piece of equipment.
9:56am
>> you're like hercules. like a space hercules here. >> reporter: hercules, i am not, i awe sure you. but i assure you that our astronauts are in great shape. you know, it took 159 space walks to build the international space station. back to you, heather. heather: all right, chris. thank you so much. looks like a fun place to be. you can watch the entire space walk today streaming live on our web site. go to foxnews.com and click on the link at the top of the home page right next to the watch live tab. if you love this stuff, this is the place to watch it. bill: cool stuff. as it's underway. all right, a new focus on the health care overhaul, specifically on cost-cutting panels. republicans and some democrats argue this panel is rationing in disguise. it starts in minutes, we'll tell you about it. heather: and everyone is talking about this, the august deadline in the debt debate. what happens if our nation goes into default on our $14 trillion debt? we'll have an answer for you, because you asked. ♪ [ male announcer ] you like who you are...
9:57am
the man you've become. and you learned something along the way. about the world. and yourself. ♪ this is the age of knowing what you're made of. and knowing how to get things done. so, why would you let something like erectile dysfunction get in your way? isn't it time you talked to your doctor about viagra? 20 million men already have. wih every age comes responsibility. ask your doctor if your heart is heahy enough for sex.
9:58am
do not take viagra if you take nitrates for chest pain, as it may cause an unsafe drop in blood pressure. side effects may include headache, flushing, upset smach, and abnormal vision. to avoid ong-term injury, seek immediate medical help for an erection lasting more than four hours. stop taking viagra and call your doctor right away if you experience a sudden decrease or loss in vision or hearing. you didn't get to this age by having things handed to you. this is the age of taking actn. viagra. talk to your docr. see if america's most prescribed e.d. treatment is right for you. introducing venus proskin th moisture rich shave gel bars that create a layer of protection with every close stroke. leaving your skin beautifully smooth. new venus proskin moisture rich.
9:59am
10:00am
bill: some breaking news right now on a house hearing on the hill. will the federal government start getting between you and your doctor? a hearing on the hill about to find out that answer. that's a live look at the house budget committee. kathleen sebelius set to answer questions about a controversial panel that critics say amounts to rationing of health care. so a brand new hour kicking off now. good morning, everybody, on this july morning, i'm bill hemmer. nice to see you, heather. heather: great to be here. i'm heather nauert, nice to be here today. this board is designed to control medicare spending and cut costs, but republicans and some democrats say this panel will do a whole lot more than that. steve centanni is live in washington to cover what we can expect from this hearing today. good morning, steve, and there is yet even another hearing going on regarding this. what do we expect to happen today? >> reporter: well, we could see some fireworks because this
10:01am
is a very emotional issue. the republicans want to repeal this advisory board, and many house democrats don't like it either. it's a 15-member advisory panel established under president obama's health care law that would make recommendations on how to cut costs in the medicare. now, the members would be nominated by the president and confirmed by the senate, and any recommendation the board makes for cutting medicare cost would go into effect if congress does nothing cut costs by that same amount. opponents worry it could arbitrarily cut medicare services with little congressional oversight, and they see it as a way of rationing health care. heather? heather: steve, there's a wrinkle in this for republicans. if they get a little too political on this entire be topic, they could end up alienating a lot of democrats. do they think they can kind of keep this just related to the policy of it? >> reporter: right. because democrats are split on this, so they do have to be careful. this was not part of the house version of the health care bill. it was added by the senate, and
10:02am
some democrats would clearly join republicans voting to abolish this board. but health and human services secretary kathleen sebelius will appear at today's hearing before the house budget committee, which you can see on your screen, to defend the independent board. she says it's an important tool for keeping costs down. she says as long as congress acts to reduce health care spending, the board recommendations would not take effect. so that's the argument you can expect to hear today from the secretary. and, again tomorrow at a different subcommittee hearing. heather: all right. steve centanni, thank you so much. and some democrats out there are saying give this thing a chance. all right, well, he is a leading member in congress, georgia republican tom price, and what does he make of those hearings today? his take, that's coming up in just a bit. bill: all right. in the meantime, neither side willing to budge, we know that, or blink in the debt standoff, or are they behind closed doors? we don't know, but the clock is ticking down to the deadline of
10:03am
august 2nd. that's when the white house says we start defaulting on some of our bills. president obama saying we have to raise the debt ceiling, plain and simple. >> now, i will say that some of the professional politicians know better. and for them to say that we shouldn't be raising the debt ceiling is irresponsible. they know better. bill: there are republicans arguing, though, we do not need to raise the debt ceiling, and august 2nd isn't really a deadline after all. so what happens if there is no deal by the 2nd of august? liz claman from the fox business network. how you doing, liz? [laughter] >> it's a huge battle here. bill: what does happen if august 2nd comes and goes without a deal? >> >> we're all going to die, no, i'm kidding. listen, everybody is putting out all kinds of ideas. the problem is, we don't really know. i'm not going to sit here and say it will be armageddon or everything will be fine because we don't know.
10:04am
since 1962 we've raised the debt ceiling more than 90 times and -- 70 times and, frankly, under president bush a lot of republicans who are digging in their heels right now voted to raise the debt ceiling seven times. this time, though, many republicans who sit in the house right now have gotten their seats by promising to cut costs, so they want to turn this into an opportunity. and why not? we have a massive debt of $14 trillion. so here's the question, what will happen? think about it, if you just reflected back on yourself, what happens when you miss a car payment? well, your borrowing costs go up. that's what will happen if we miss this opportunity to raise the debt ceiling and keep paying our debt. so here's the issue. what will happen? we may very well lose, if we miss a debt payment, we may lose our aaa credit rating status for the united states. bill: now, what does that mean? because we're in aaa standing now, what does that mean? are we athens or what? >> we don't look much better than athens, bill, because our
10:05am
borrowing costs will skyrocket. the u.s. dollar -- here's another possibility, and i keep saying could because, again, we don't know, but the u.s. dollar could lose its standing on the international, global stage, so our dollars could become weaker. bill: i understand all that. revenues are still coming into the government, there would be pain, you just can't pay everything. now, we're getting a lot of questions about this from viewers, he's one right now -- here's one right now. why doesn't anyone repeat how much interest we pay on debt? >> last year the interest that we paid on the debt, $413 billion. so far this year up until now, it's tacked at about $385 billion. china holds 1.15 trillion of our debt in treasuries, and that's actually helpful to us, certainly, because they're buying it, and then we can borrow. it's pretty much a vicious cycle. but they're not liking us so
10:06am
much right now. they're still continuing to buy, but in more fits and starts in that regard. it's really important to point out here that we, again, don't know. we had martin feldstein who's an economist who, basically, helped both president reagan and president obama see through some of the problems of the economy, and he said that, yes, there would be prioritizing and that the ceiling wouldn't fall in. we would have to prioritize. do we pay our military, or do we cut off their paychecks? do we send out social security checks? that may come in fits and starts. again, we don't know, bill, so it's a very scary situation. bill: listen, there's a group out of washington to try to get a bit of attention because of this whole china deal. i want you to look at their spot right now, and i'll ask you about this. >> america can learn a lot from a drug addict. even though this country's 14 trillion in debt, washington raised the debt ceiling ten times in the last ten years. each time it's like another hit, another spending hit, but you're the junkie. 41 cents out of every dollar you spend is borrowed from places like china, so china is like your dealer, and your addiction
10:07am
and your dealer control your life. to borrow less, you need to spend less. yeah. washington could learn a lot from a drug addict. bill: whoa. lizzie, does that ring home? >> until that guy goes for government services and they're not there anymore, let's see how he behaves. that's the issue, and i think that a lot of americans in this country are centrists, and can they would like to see a compromise. by the same token, the people who use those government services tend to be middle or lower class, so, therefore, they're saying, okay, can you give a bit on behalf of cutting certain tax deductions that some wealthy people use? for example, the private jet deduction, and big oil gets some deductions. if we could get both sides to at least inch in on either side and meet closer to the middle, that'd be good for america. bill: liz, thanks a lot. we'll see you at 3:00, countdown to the closing bell, featuring that woman right there. thank you, liz.
10:08am
you have a question you want answered? the only a click away. bya, because you asked. d. robinson wrote in today. also hemmer at foxnews.com. heather: and be that was quite a commercial. what do you think about all of this? are you concerned about an agreement to raise the debt ceiling, that it might not be reached by a august 2nd deadline? right now there are more than 5,000 votes with more than 50% saying very concerned. weigh in, tell us what you think, go to foxnews.com and click on the u decide link below the deficit headline. breaking news to bring you this morning coming out of afghanistan. one of the most powerful men in that country has been assassinated. he is the half brother of afghan president hamid karzai. he was shot dead in his home, apparently, bea highly -- by a highly-trusted bodyguard. david piper is following all the developments for us from kabul this morning. good morning, david. this guy was seen really as a thorn in the side to americans in some instances.
10:09am
is this good for bad for us over there? >> reporter: it's difficult, heather, because there's likely to be a power vacuum in kandahar because the half brother of karzai, basically, by many accounts ran the city. nothing was done without his say so. we do understand that u.s. special forces did like operating with him because he was very hard-nosed, and he wanted to take the fight to the taliban. but the nato forces have been very concerned about, um, his alleged unsavory past including allegations that he was a drug lord. but this assassination really has caused great worry to the karzai government. real nervousness now because we do know that two high-ranking official were assassinated in the north of the country in the last week, and now with the half brother killed as well, it seems that anybody can get, they can get to anybody, and that will cause real worries in this administration and also,
10:10am
perhaps, undermine president karzaiment back to you, heather. heather: all right. david piper, thank you so much. bill: they have full u.s. citizenship and diplomatic immunity, so how some people become super u.s. citizens. we'll explain. heather: and two cars collide. you have a decent chance for survival, but if two planes collide, it's typically a major tragedy. but not in this midair fender bender. we'll tell you all about what happened. bill: it's a remarkable story too. months on the battlefield finally coming to an end, and a long-awaited smile makes it all worthwhile. >> i don't know, i'm speechless. it's just, it's good to see everybody back with their families and all the hard work that everybody put in, you know, right now it's paying off. the new droid inedible 2.
10:11am
10:12am
i could use a smartphone with social apps to stay up on what my friends are doing. and 's global, so i'll know what they're doing while they're doing it, even wn i travel. i'll have to act surprised when they tell me stuff. i don't have a good surprised face. maybe i can look up videos of surprised people on my new phone for reference. yep, i really want that phone. upgrade to the new droid incredible 2 by htc with global capabilities for only $149.99. now on america's largest, most reliable high-speed network. verizon.
10:13am
bill: we have some new video on a high-speed car chase in southern california. check this out at nighttime. highway patrol officers flipping this stolen suv on its side late last night just as the driver was trying to get on the
10:14am
freeway. that dramatic chase hit speeds of up to 100 miles an hour before officers ended it there. the driver eventually pulled out from that car and arrested, he's now facing a handful of charges. heather: all right. this is a very interesting debate, and you'll want to listen to this one. so why be a u.s. citizen when you could be a super citizen? we're not making up that term. there is a brand new report that's revealing that u.s.-born children of foreign diplomats can enjoy so-called soup citizen status. -- super citizen status. you get full citizenship along with the perk be of diplomatic immunity. the u.s. state department claims you can't have both. here to break it down is stephen camarota, his group did this study. good morning, stephen. so explain this to us. the children of foreign diplomats here in the united states who are born can claim both citizenship and yet diplomatic immunity? how exactly does that work?
10:15am
is. >> right. well, the 14th amendment of the united states constitution says all persons born in the united states and subject to its jurisdiction are u.s. citizens. now, the one interesting thing is the debate about who immigrants are because are they really subject to our jurisdiction? but everyone across the political spectrum agrees that diplomats and then the children born to them are not subject -- heather: all right, hold on, steven. let's back up for one second because if there's an illegal that comes to our country and has a baby, that child becomes a u.s. citizen automatically. what you are talking about here to this study is if a diplomat gives birth to a child here, that child becomes a u.s. citizen. but you're also claiming that in some instances through a whole bunch of loopholes that we didn't expect could also get diplomatic immunity. explain how that could happen. >> well, let me just explain one thing. everybody agrees the child should not get u.s. citizenship. the state department says it, and scholars across the
10:16am
political spectrum says the children of diplomats, that is children born here to diplomats, are not u.s. citizens. but the way it works is the system runs on autopilot. the hospital and vital statistic issues the birth certificate. the social security administration gives out a social security number. so in effect, the child does become a u.s. citizen even though explicitly they're not supposed to. now, if that child subsequently gets in trouble, they're still protected by diplomatic immunity. let's say they're 16, they drive drunk, they run somebody over, the child -- as long as the parent still is enjoying the diplomatic immunity -- the child still has diplomatic immunity. so now you have someone who's a citizen, but they're a super citizen because they also enjoy the diplomatic immunity of their parents. heather: the u.s. state department says you can't have it both ways, you're either a citizen or, basically, have diplomatic immunity.
10:17am
what do you say to that? >> that's not the way it actually works. if you send a birth certificate and a picture to the u.s. state department and you're a u.s. diplomat, the child of a diplomat and you were born here, and you send a birth certificate and a picture, they'll give you a passport. heather: okay, so there are a bunch of bureaucrats who aren't checking, and so a few of these people are getting through, and they are enjoying the status of both. >> well, it's a few thousand people every year. so the cumulative effect can be quite large. and it isn't so much that they're not checking, it's there's no even procedure to do that. states who register births have no mechanism for distinguishing between the children of diplomats and not. the social security administration doesn't issue special social security numbers to the children born to diplomats. heather: all right. so your point is somebody's got to get this thing figured out whether it is congress who decides to -- >> with right. congress would have to have the power. heather: or whether the court do it. stephen cam rat saw, he's from
10:18am
the center of immigration studies, you can check out his study on their web site. bill: heather, pass a law so we know what's in the law, right? remember that from new nancy pe? there's a hearing underway right now, is it the beginning of rationing? a georgia republican who's also a doctor is here today on why he believes this panel has to end. heather: and, you know, you've got to hit the gym in order to stay thin, bill. i know you do that. but there's a new study that says you have to get started working out when you're very, very young. get this, in diapers. kiddie cardio. can't make this stuff up. we'll ask a doctor what this is all about. ♪
10:19am
10:20am
10:21am
10:22am
bill: got some breaking news right now, the house republican leadership, john boehner, the speak speaker of the house talking about the debt deal. >> thirdly, we have to have real controls in place to make sure this never happens again. real controls like a balanced budget amendment. but the fact is that house republicans have a plan. we passed our budget back in the spring that outlined our priorities. where's the budget -- where's the president's plan? when is he going the lay his cards on the table? this debt limit increase is his problem, and i think it's time for him to lead by putting his plan on the table, something that the congress can pass. >> good morning. you know, the president has talked over the last day or so about the need to try and address the big problems which are the entitlement programs, specifically health care into entitlements and their trajectory. and, you know, it's gratifying to see that the president joins us in be feeling we've got to do something about it.
10:23am
because as the chairman just said, when chairman hensarling said we were the ones who came forward and said, you know what? we're going to put health care entitlements in if our budget because we believe this is how you get the fiscal house in order. so i appreciate the president saying that we need to do something about the long-term health of our country and entitlements, i appreciate the fact that he thinks that he's got the prescriptions to do so. what i don't understand is why in the world would the president then tie that to tax increases? if it's the right thing to do for the country, why is he tying it into imposing greater costs on the people of this country at a time they can least deal with that? >> we all know the point in time of where we are -- bill: so there's your house republican leadership, that's kevin mccarthy, before that eric cantor and, obviously, the house speaker, john boehner. the comments there seem to be
10:24am
much more pointed and directed toward president obama than we have heard over the past few days. john boehner talking about a balanced budget deal, getting structural reform in place and then questioning where is the president's plan? that has been, that has been a line from republicans for some time now, saying that democrats have gone almost 800 days without producing their own budget. so there's another meeting today to talk about this debt deal, 3:45 today at the white house. they'll speak again then, and after that we'll find out whether or not the ball is moving in one direction or the other. 25 minutes after the hour. heather: all right. let's light things up a bit. the fight against obesity should begin at birth? that's according to new guidelines from the british government. officials there are urging even very young children to get three hours of physical activity a day. they also want infants who are too young to walk to spend more time playing on their stomachs and in swim sessions with their parents. so how young is too young to start obsessing about weight? let's bring in dr. joanna, a
10:25am
pediatrician and also the author of "red light, green light: eat right." doctor, thanks so much for coming in. children under 5, including babies who can't even walk, should exercise? that sounds crazy. >> they're not really talking about exercise. what the guidelines are referring to is increasing movement in our youngest children. it's very important to keep them unrestrained as much as possible. heather: okay. i have a seven month old at home, and a lot of kids can't even sit up on their own. so how do you engage a child in exercise? >> you want to put them on an activity mat. exercise for that age is reaching, grabbing, pulling, any way that they can use their arms and their legs. that's enough. heather: okay. so we're not talking about the typical cardio or anything like that. >> no. no baby treadmills. heather: parents just need to keep their kids moving at all times? >> exactly right. we want to take toddlers out of
10:26am
their strollers and put them on their feet, in the form of unrestricted, active play. just let them run around. heather: okay. how much are we talking about? >> for toddlers, up to three hours a day, spread throughout the day. heather: at what age can weight problems start to develop in children? you start seeing them younger and younger all the time. >> can absolutely. i had an 18 month old morbidity obese patient in my office just last week, so we're seeing these problems develop younger and younger. heather: and what do parents need to do about it? keep the kids active all the time or monitor their eating too? >> both are very important. not only do we want our kids moving around, we want to watch their portion sizes, and even toddlers need to eat healthy food so not just chicken nuggets and french fries. heather: thank you so much for coming in, the author of "red light, green light: eat right." bill: i'm going to the gym right now. [laughter] an unusual outcome for a terrifying midair collusion.
10:27am
two small planes colliding. how the pilots landed both planes safely. remarkable. also, the debt battle's underway, and the main focus in be washington. could the president be using it to secure his seat for re-election now? these are new allegations claiming president obama's already in election mode. we're going to talk about that with a great panel coming up minutes away. [ male annocer ] things seem better with travelocity's best price guarantee.
10:28am
our girl's an architect. our boy's a genius. we are awesome parents! biddly-boop. [ male announcer ] if you find a lower rate on a room you've booked, we won't just match it. we'll give you $50 towards your next trip. [ gnome ] it's go time.
10:29am
♪ if you have gout, high uric acid can lead to more attacks. ♪ to help reduce attacks, lower your uric acid. uloric lowers uric acid levels in adus with gout. it's not for the treatment of high uric acid without a history of gout. uloric reduces uric acid to help you reach a healthy level. [ female announcer ] don't take uloric if you are taking azathioprine, mercaptopurine, or theophylline. gout may flare when starting uloric. don't stop taking it. your doctor may give you other medicines to help prevent flares. a small number of heart attacks, strokes, and heart-related deaths were seen in studies. it's not certain uloric caused them. certain testto check liver function may be required. tell your doctor about liver or kidney problems, or history of heart disease or stroke. the most common side effects are liver problems, nausea, gout flares, joint pain, and rash. [ male announcer ] if you have gout, ask youroctor about uloric. she is the greatest thing ever.
10:30am
honey bunny. [ babbles ] [ laughs ] we would do anything for her. my name is kim bryant and my husband and i made a will on lzo it was really easy to do. [ spits ] [ both laugh ] [ shapiro ] we created legal zoom to help you take care of the ones you love. go to legalzoom.com today and complete your will in minutes. legalzoom.com we put the law on your side. [ female announcer ] the counter. in most homes, it gets all the action. bring it. in this lab demo, one sheet of bounty leaves this surface as clean as 2 sheets of the bargain brand. ♪ why use more when you can use less? ♪ super durable. super absorbent. super clean. bounty. the one-sheet clean picker-upper.
10:31am
>> ht health not one, but two amazing stories of survival, after a fender bnder happens mid-air, a pair of small planes colliding near lairk clarke in alaska, the faa describing it as one of the rarest events. no one was injured and pilots were able to land safely at nearby airports, david lee miller is following this story live for us here from new york city. david, how on earth did this even happen in the first place? >> >> reporter: i'm going to use a word we don't use often, the m word, miracle, that's what they're talking about in alaska, the odds of these two planes colliding, both far from an airport, astro mommicly small, also astronomicallyy small here, the fact that no one was injured, no one was killed. here's what happened. one of the aircraft, a piper navajo, being used as an air taxi, the other, a cessna
10:32am
206, a float plane used to land on lakes, the two aircraft were traveling at about 2300 feet, through a narrow valley in the anchorage mountains. this is a very narrow canyon, as narrow as a quarter of a mile. the two aircraft were heading in different directions, button going north, the other going south, they were dead on, the visibility reportedly excellent, but spotting each aircraft under these conditions we're told can be very difficult, an aircraft off in the distance can appear as a motionless speck. the owner of the piper navajo said at the time of impact those on board had no idea what had happened. >> they didn't see it, they didn't really feel anything that was horribly out of the ordinary, said they thought they hit a bird. when they got out of the plane and they looked, they understood the miracle, that they just saw what the damage was. >> reporter: and the story gets more incredible. now, the pilot of that piper
10:33am
navajo was able to travel to its destination in anchorage, did land safely, the plane had minor damage to its tail, as for the cessna float plane, it did have to land prematurely at a nearby lake, had to be towed to a dock, it was suffered minor damage to a float but incredibly here, again, no one was injured f. they had any luck left, presumably the passengers then went on to buy lottery tickets! this morning, they're most certainly counting their blessings. heather: what are we hearing from the faa in terms of how common the mid after her collisions are? >> reporter: this is still under investigation. we're going to learn more about if there was any pilot error here, but these mid-air collision, -- collisions, not that common. since 1978 there are on average about 30 of them per year, but this is a statistic to keep in mind when you look at what happened here. there's an average of 75 deaths per year because of mid-air collisions, there are about 450 or so near misses in the air, geand, just to underscore how potentially deadly they can
10:34am
be, the worst incident took place in november of 1996, over the skies of india, a saudi 747 hit a cargo plane, and 349 people lost their lives. again, miraculously, this crash, no one injured. heather. heather: david lee miller, thank you very much. bill: buy a lottery ticket after that one, don't you. fox news alert, republicans seem to be changing their tune slightly and directing it right at president obama. we just heard from the house speaker john boehner moments ago, saying that the debt limit is his problem, a rather stark statement. also on the senate side, mitch mcconnell said that after years of discussions and months of negotiations, i have little question that as long as this president is in the oval office, a real solution is probably unattainable. now, we're working on both statements, and we'll bring that to you in a moment. first, though, we have the speaker boehner comment from a moment ago. if we have that in a moment, we'll play that in a moment.
10:35am
in the meantime, kirsten powers, rich lowry, rich is editor of the national review and kirsten is a new york post columnist, both are fox news contributors, good morning to both of you. is the tenor changing here? >> it began to change yesterday where president obama had a political press conference, obviously aimed at trying to position himself on the center on the fiscal issues after 2 1/2 years. bill: but even then, rich, it seemed like the president was playing nice with john boehner publicly and boehner was doing the same in return. >> well, he's vouched for him personally as good intentions, but there's a big policy and political difference here, where republicans don't believe that they should be raising taxes in order to fund the status quo of our entitlement state, and president obama thinks we should, so that's a big difference. ultimately to be litigated in the 2012 election. i think what will happen here is what has to happen. there will be some small medium deal to get us beyond the 2012 election which will
10:36am
ultimately decide the fiscal future of the country. bill: okay, short term deals, rich suggests. i have the boehner sound but i want kirsten to respond to this first. kirsten. >> well, i mean, i don't think the president -- the president doesn't want a short term deal, he was pretty closer about that, and i think this is -- to say things -- to have mcconnell saying things like this isn't going to be solved as long as the president is in the white house is not really operating in good faith to try to fix this problem. look, obama has taken on his base in terms of the agreement to entitlement cuts, things that have been -- >> bill: [inaudible] >> he said that social security and medicare are on the table. >> what are they? what are the polices? what are his polices to cut those programs? >> any kind of change to social security, just talking about social security, is completely anathama to the liberals. whether you agree with that are -- >> so what are the programs?
10:37am
he's the president of the united states. of a country that has enormous debt problems. if he's identified $3 trillion in cuts, that he thinks are a good idea, that's fantastic, that's overdue. he should go public with them. he should detail them. and he should advocate for them, but he doesn't obviously with the desire or the courage to do that. >> i don't think that's fair. i think the fact that he has even come out and said he's doing these cuts puts him in extreme peril with the base. so you know, i don't think that -- >> bill: but it is true that -- >> i don't understand why the republicans don't have to give up anything on their side. why do the republican -- are the cries able to -- >> kirsten -- >> rich, in negotiations -- >> if he has good ideas why don't he go public? >> i can say the president has come out clearly and said that's on the table that, that's part of the negotiations. he's putting that -- even putting that on the table is a step forward. >> the game here -- >> republicans are not willing to put anything on the table in terms of --
10:38am
>> bill: rich has pointed out yesterday, that everybody watches, he did not put specifics out there. i understand the point you're making rich. here's speaker boehner and i'll take you to the senate floor because all this is happening from moments ago. >> i've been in conversations with the president for the last couple of months and clearly the last couple of weeks in a serious way. and the president talks a good game, but when it comes time to actually putting these issues on the table, making decisions, they can't fool the critics. listen, i was born with a glass half full. i'm the optimist. i'm going to continue to be the optimist, that we can do the right thing for the country. bill: that was speaker boehner, at the same time, mitch mcconnell, this is chuch schumer in the florida senate, mitch mcconnell saying as long as his presence is in the oval office a real solution is unattainable. what about that rich? >> i think he's probably right and the game for the president is to pose a fiscal moderate after 2 1/2
10:39am
years of making this problem worse and then ignoring and not actually putting the specifics out there for the public. again, if he thinks these things are good ideas, if he thinks medicare is unsustainable, as he said the other day, if he thinks the decifit is harming the country's economy, as he said the other day, put his plan out there. he had a budget in february that was a joke. that was repute ated with zero swroats in the senate. he's the president. united states. he should lead on this and he's not. bill: 800 days, kirsten. what about it? >> look, i just think this is a typical tactic to attack the president rather than addressing the fact that those republicans are not willing to meet in the the middle, they're not willing to put the things on the table like closing these loopholes for private jets and things like that, they just keep attacking the president and saying oh well, he's not being honest because he comes out in front of the entire country and says that he's going to do entitlement cuts, but he's male reag -- he's really making it up. >> why doesn't he tell us what they are?
10:40am
>> because they're negotiating, rich. you know how it works. it's just a game. >> it's not a game. republicans -- >> it's a political game of attacking. are you saying -- are he really -- hold on. are you really saying the president is lying, that really they've not specified the cuts? >> i want to see what they are. >> you're insinuating he's lying. you're insinuating he's lying. >> the country deserves to see what these cuts are. republicans -- the. >> bill: all right, this is getting us nowhere. thank you very much. i like both of you an awful lot. but we're not going to move the ball on this, because we're not going to get specifics and i don't know if he's gotten specific behind closed doors. all i know there are jets waiting for us outside, all three of us. >> corporate jets! bill: rich, kirsten, we'll talk to you both again. heather: that's like your mom would say, do i have to separate the two of you? the health care overhaul, congressman tom price, he is a doctor, we'll talk with him about whether
10:41am
a special panel will be rationing health care. that's coming up. bill: also working 9-5 until you're making it a late night, how a minor accident brought rush hour to a standstill.
10:42am
10:43am
10:44am
heather: a special home coming to tell you about for some of our bravest men and women. look at this. two hundred thirty-four parson soldiers arrive home in -- carson soldiers arrive home to a crowd of screaming friends, the troops are coming home from afghanistan and that is where they help bring basic services to the people of afghanistan. this group is one of the last brigades to deploy as a large unit. welcome home, everybody! a job well done. we have to pass the bill, so that you can find out what is in it. away from the fog of the controversy. bill: march, 2010, remember that?
10:45am
some in congress demanding answers on whether or not uncle sam will come between you and your doctor, a house budget committee hearing headed up by paul ryan, kathleen sebelius testifying, he wants to know about the 15 unelected advisers charged with reducing medicare spending. >> the independent payment advisory board is a new executive branch agency created by the president's new health care law, the law empowers this board of 15 unelected officials are the authority to reduce medicare spending. unless overturned by a supermajority in congress the recommended cuts dictated by this board will become law. >> ipad is the independent policy advisory board found on page 1000 of the health care reform bill. georgia republican tom price, chairman of the house republican policy committee is member of the budget committee and the doctors' republican caucus, a physician himself, good morning, welcome back to
10:46am
"america's newsroom". >> good morning. bill: you allege this panel is the beginning of rationing of health care in america. how? >> well, it is. now what it is is 15 individuals, appointed by the president, and yes, confirmed by the senate, but they don't necessarily have to be folks who have any specific knowledge about taking care of patients. they may have knowledge about the health care system but not taking care of patients -- patients and what they're empowered to do is reduce payments or not pay physicians for providing care to patients. that's denial of care, you call it rationing, anything you want, but what it means, is the federal government as we suggested last year when this bill was being discussed is going to get between the patient and physician, and that's wrong. bill: you're a yourself and you know that whrern we do and dr. marc siegl was making the sail point yesterday. come back to the point about the law, though, this panel was established to reduce costs. isn't that the goal in the end, anyway? >> well, it is, but there are ways to reduce cost that increase the quality of care and there are ways to reduce cost that deny care to patients. and the administration and
10:47am
the democrats here in congress have elected to deny care to patients, that's how they save money. we believe it should be decreasing cost by having the systemmor more efficient, were accountable, more transparent, all the things you and i know and your listeners know bring down costs. bill: this is what paul ryan tweeted late yesterday, he said plenty of misguided government expansions buried in the 2700 page health care reform law, but today's hearing is focused on page 1000 section 3403. that's the whole idea about passing it before you know what's in it. who found this on page 1000? and i mean, you as a doctor, did you know this panel existed? when health care reform came up for a vote? >> yes, in fact we talked about it. we talked about the rationing capability of this bill and the denial of care capability. it didn't get the kind of attention that it should have at that time because as you'll remember, everything
10:48am
was kind of rolling very, very fast. but what we were concerned about is what is coming to pass and that is an unelected board, 15-member board of bureaucrats, those folks employed by the federal government who will determine whether or not your doctor can provide the kind of care that you as a senior in this country need. bill: so 15 people can tell you, tom price, whether or not you can get a hip replacement surgery. >> that's exactly right and it's even more pernicious than that, because it means if a physician has had something denied in the past to a senior citizen in terms of care, in that physician's mind and the next patient that comes in the door, it's well, i won't even offer that to that patient because i know it will be denied, so the patient then loses that trust in the physician and i would suggest it's that patient-physician trust that allows us to have the highest quality health care in the world. bill: i understand the point you're making. what is the better solution then? >> the better solution is to allow the patients to have the opportunity about who they see, where they see them, how they're treated, when they're treated and by whom and that's the solution
10:49am
we put forward, which patients -- puts patients in charge, patient-centered health care, that's the way to move other than having government-centered health care which is what the president designed. bill: i know you want this repealed. if it were repealed, it would be out. we'll see where this hearing goes today. tom price, thank you for coming back, okay? >> thank you very much. ht health so much going on in washington now. all eyes on the white house, following the debt debate. let's go to patti ann brown, she has a look at what's happening in the next hour on "happening now". patti ann: i'm patti ann brown in for jenna lee, we'll talk about tackling the debt crisis, republicans saying a deal is dead at least long term. we're going to talk to utah senator orrin hatch and two political strategists, also what it would mean for you if lawmakers can't make a deal. also larry sabato is a great progress nas indicator on elections, today he weighs in on the republican field and who might throw their hat in the ring. we hasn't to hear from you, go to foxnews.com/happening
10:50am
now and click on the america's asking tab. heather: thank you very much. uld this be a sign of the times? banks across the country are closing more branches than they're opening right now. here's the question: what does it mean for you? we'll have a live report. that's coming up next.
10:51am
10:52am
10:53am
heather: maybe you noticed this out on the streets, for the first time in 15 years, banks in the united states are closing their branches faster than they're opening them. what does it mean for the people working there? and what does it mean for you if you depend on those banks? laura ingle is here with that story. laura, what is going on? >> hi heather. mobile phone banking is at the top of the list of reasons why many banks are announcing these branch closures. that, combined with the sluggish economy, struggling
10:54am
housing market, and new restrictions on credit and debit fees have forced blanks to tighten up. overall u.s. banks have eliminated more than 1400 locations in the past two years. now, bank of america is set to close one in ten of its branches in the next few years, saying that customers are now using multiple channels to bank, webster bank, the largest independent bank in new england will soon close six branches but it's still keeping as many branches open for customers who require one on one interaction such as setting up college or retirement plans. >> what's going on in the branch social security much more complicated. it's where you need interaction with people to make something as simple as a deposit. you don't really need a person, technology today can do so much. >> if financial -- some financial experts say the industry is overbranched with many banking institutes closing the most profitable ones. heather: so what about the employees and nontech savvy
10:55am
customers? my mom goes, she wants to talk to somebody! >> not everybody has a smartphone, banks and tellers, those pentagons -- managers say that bank tellers will be reassigned to other branches but for the lower income customers without a smartphone, it leaves them in a pinch. >> one of the things that's important to remember is that when families and individuals can't become part of the traditional banking system, they tend to turn to payday lender, rent to own, title lenders, a host of other extremely expense of alternative financial services. and the most important aspect of all of those alternative financial providers is not just that their costs are extremely high, but that none of them offer savings accounts. >> experts say the bank branches as a whole aren't going anywhere, there will just be fewer in the future. heather: good to know, thanks. bill: at 3:45 this afternoon, there's another debt meeting at the white house, the stakes getting higher and the accusations are going right there with it today. moments ago, here's the
10:56am
republican leader mitch mcconnell on the floor of the senate. listen: >> but after years of discussions and months of negotiations, i have little question that as long as this president is in the oval office, a real solution is probably unattainable.
10:57am
10:58am
10:59am
>> go to c-span, show them argueing. heather: isn't that the true, huh? bill: they were just getting going! it goes on for a while. expect more of that this afternoon. heather: then the food will start flying. bill: great to be with you, healtho heather, the last couple of days. heather: "happening now" starts right now. have a great day, everyone